This year, Hillwood College’s Tennis celebrates its 101th year . The parent body of Hillwood College Past Pupils Association led by its president Sirini Dunuwille came forward to re-develop the Tennis court, so they joined in collaboration with the present Principal Nelum De Alwis in a successful effort to resurface the tennis court in par with international standards at a cost of Rs. 5.8mn.
The Past Pupils Association donated Rs. one million rupees for this project, worthy contribution from the females who got their best from this school as students. The dedication and commitment of the Principal Nelum De Alwis, the Past Pupils’ Association, Staff and present students was the best, and this objective was finally proven when Hillwood College reopened the tennis court few days with the blessings of Rt. Rev Kumarasinghe Ilangasinge a sports lover and the court was open by Dr Dan Seevaratnam Chairman CMS Governing Body.
On this day, an exhibition game of tennis was played between present and old girls for a trophy presented in the name of Anula Pilamathalauwe, a person who gave a big hand for this school was a student, coach, teacher-in-charge from 1931- 1974) . This match is going to be annual one for this trophy under the Past Pupils Association calendar. So, a new chapter in the history of tennis at Hillwood begins.