Apple’s upcoming iPhone 8 is one of 2017’s most anticipated phones, especially since it is the tech giant’s 10th anniversary phone and the company is expected to mark the occasion by putting out a new device with standout features.
While nothing has been leaked out of Apple’s chambers yet, rumours have been floating around about the iPhone 8 (or iPhone 7s — the name has not been revealed by Apple). Whether Apple will deliver the fireworks with iPhone 8 is not known yet, but going by the rumors, it appears there’s a lot to look forward to.
Here are eight expected features of iPhone 8
1. Curved OLED display: The iPhone is expected to come in three variants — two aluminum body variants just like the iPhone 7/7S and an anniversary edition curved OLED one. The displays for the OLED version would be reportedly supplied by Samsung. The OLED iPhone 8 might have embedded sensors in the display and workable edges like the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.
2. No Home button: Apple might finally ditch the home button, which has been there ever since the first iPhone debuted in 2007. Instead, it might have a display-embedded fingerprint sensor.
3. A11 processor: iPhone is expected to come with a 10nm technology-based A11 processor made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company. These processors are 30 percent more powerful and 20 percent more battery-efficient than the existing ones. TSMC is expected to start A11 production in April 2017.
4. Wireless charging: iPhone 8 is expected have an all-glass design, which will support fast wireless charging. A glass design is better for wireless charging since it would not leak charge like metal cases.
5. Touch ID, built-in camera: If Apple goes in for an edge-to-edge design it will have to account for the placement of the front camera and the fingerprint sensor. The iPhone 8 is expected to have a camera built into the display along with a Touch ID sensor. So basically, the phone will feel like a single sheet of glass with all the functionalities located inside the display.
6. Iris/facial scanning: iPhone 8 is said to come with enhanced security features — Apple is expected to replace passcode encryption with Iris/facial scanning, which will unlock the phone using input from its camera. The company may reportedly call it a Retina Eye scanner.
7. Multi-sensor camera: The 2017 smartphone is expected to come with a multi-sensor camera, which will have advanced light-sensing capability, resulting in clearer and more colorful images.
8. New form factor: iPhone 8 is expected to sport an entirely new form factor. Apart from a bezel-less display, it is also expected to be thinner than the existing iPhones. The all-glass OLED model is likely to have smudge-free glass.
International Business Times