Royal played well in the Colombo leg of the Bradby Shield (As highlighted in the picture), but lost the return at Pallekelle (Pic by Damith Wickremesinghe)

For the 2nd time in the history of the 72 years of the Bradby, the shield was shared by Royal College Colombo and Trinity College Kandy.

Trinity College managed a hard fought 18-13 win in the 2nd leg at their own ground in Pallekelle.

The Royalists were the dominant force in the first leg and defeated the Trinitians by 22 points to 17 at the Royal Sports Complex a fortnight ago.

Trinity wiped out Royal’s 5 point lead in the return leg and as a result both teams tied on aggregate points – the first such occasion since 1992 when Royal were led by Harindu Wijesinghe and the Kandy school by Himesh Goonethilaka.

The second leg at Pallekelle was pitted as a game between the Royal forwards against the Trinity back line.

For this game the Trinitians had made a major reshuffle by bringing in former Sri Lanka rugby captain-cum-Kandy SC head coach Sean Wijeysinghe to take over as the reins from coach Eric Miller as the head coach.

The determined Royalists slowly but steadily entered the game and looked much more focused than their opponents.

They got off the mark through a penalty put over by ever reliable 17-year-old Ovin Askey and a brilliant try scored by their unsung hero-cum-prop forward Ayesh Maduranga. The try was converted by Askey and the Royalist’ stretched their score to a healthy 10 points.
Then the Trinitians scored an unconverted try just before half time through centre Sanjana Sanghasinghe and at half time Royal led 10-5.

After the turn around Trinity scored through fly half Lashan Wijesuria’s penalty and a converted try by number eight Salindra Alahakoon. Suddenly Trinity took the lead 18-10. In the final couple of minutes Royal were in the thick of things and seemed to have scored a try through their famous rolling maul. At the time the try was scored the ‘Lions’ collapsed with the opponents engaged in the maul. However, on a different day, the referee could have given a penalty try for the infringement. The crucial penalty was awarded to Royal. It was well into injury time and the young 17-year-old Ovin Askey converted a spectacular touch line penalty and three points was added to the tally. The Bradby aggregate stood at 35 each.

Royal retained the shield as they were the last year’s winners. It was a top class game and the credit should go to both teams and their coaching staff as well. Referee Aruna Rankothge had an excellent game.

Wesley regain Blaze Trophy
Wesley College beat Kingswood College Kandy by 57 points to 7 in their inter-school rugby match played for the Blaze Trophy. This was the 29th edition of the series. The winners regained the trophy after a long time. The match was played at Royal Sports Complex, Reid Avenue last week. The winners led 26-0 at half time.

Centre Omar Kuthubdeen (3), and one each by A.N. Jayaweera, Sashika Hashan, Avantha Hashan, Mursheed Doray, Walpitigama and M. Bahardeen scored for Wesley College. Avishka Lee put over the conversions.

In the dying stages of the game Kingswood scored a consolation try through Ekanayaka and fly half Shivantha Ranaweera made the conversion.