The decision to probe on statements made by Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka alleging that the 2006 suicide attack on former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa was staged would have to be made by the National Security Council (NSC), Ministry of Law and Order informed last week.

Fonseka in a statement to Parliament on May 3 alleged that the suicide attack on Rajapaksa in December 2006 was orchestrated by the former defence secretary himself in order to gain public sympathy. Secretary to the Ministry of Law and Order, Jagath Wijeweera when contacted by Nation said that the decision to probe Fonseka’s claims would have to be made by the NSC. “The NSC will have to discuss and then inform us of the decision on whether to probe or not,” he said.Rajapaksa was not available for comment.