A top level probe is now underway over a four-hour power failure at the Presidential Secretariat on February 26 which plunged the secretariat into total darkness, authoritative sources revealed to Nation.
They said President Maithripala Sirisena was at the secretariat at the time of the sudden power failure and had left the location within minutes on the advice of his security.
Sources said the President had contacted the top officials at the Ceylon Electricity Board before leaving the secretariat and reprimanded them.
The CEB Chairman and top officials had visited the scene with an investigation team, they added.
Official sources said the CEB investigation had found that the power failure had occurred due to a damaged underground cable which had caught fire. A CEB spokesman claimed there was no coordination between the CEB, Water Board and the Colombo Municipal Council when digging roads for underground repairs and vital lines were getting damaged.
Eyebrows are raised over the power failure as no underground work had been conducted by the CMC and Water Board during that week. He said these three vital institutions were bound by law to obtain a police permit to dig roads to conduct underground cable network.
Two days later on February 28, a transformer at the CEB Biyagama substation exploded plunging the entire country into darkness for several hours.