A half marathon was inaugurated by Masters Athletics Sri Lanka (MASL) under the auspices of the Asia Masters Athletics (AMA) on January 24 near the Parliament complex.
This is a new concept adopted by the AMA. Each affiliate country will conduct their own half marathon with a representative from AMA being present during the event.
In Sri Lanka, PHD Waidyatilaka AMA Vice President (Non Stadia) represented the AMA at this event.
The results of the race conducted on age group basis will be sent to the AMA Head Office in Malaysia. Once the results of all affiliates are received the best three in each age group will be awarded medals and certificates and will be recognized as Asian Masters Champions.
M 35 age group
1. Kelum Dharmaratne (Kurunegala) 1hr: 14 min.58s, 2. Nihal Padmasiri (Dehiovita), 3. D.M.P. Bandara (Pasyala)
M 40 age group
1. Ajith Bandara (Kandy) 1hr. 12min. 32s, 2. S.P. Chandrapala (Ampitiya), 3. I.D. Geethanjana (Homagama)
M 45 age group
1. J.A. Nimalasiri (Anamaduwa) 1hr. 27min.
2. S. Pramasinghe (Mannar)
3. M.A.J. Fernando (Moratuwa)
M50 age group
1. Sunil Premaratne (Puwakpitiya) 1 hr. 23min. 57 s.
2. K.W.N. Harischandra (Dunagaha)
3. S. Senasinghe (Kurunegala)
M 55 age group
1. A.S.Y. Abeywardana (Kandy) 2hr. 23min.57s