Saudi Arabia has agreed to re-open the case of the Sri Lankan housemaid who was sentenced to be stoned to death for adultery, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Dr. Harsha De Silva said today.

Speaking in Parliament, the Deputy Minister said that on Sunday, the senior staff of the Sri Lankan Embassy in Riyadh had met with the prisoner and the Appeal Court in Riyadh had agreed to hear the case following an appeal by the Sri Lankan government.

The accused in question — a 45-year-old mother of two — was sentenced by a Saudi Court in August after she had reportedly confessed before the court to have committed adultery with another Sri Lankan expatriate worker.

Her partner, also a Sri Lankan migrant worker, is reported to have been given a lesser punishment of 100 lashes on account of being single.

Protests were held outside the UN compound and the Saudi Embassy in capital Colombo last week against Saudi Arabia’s decision to stone the woman to death with protestors calling on the UN to remove Saudi Arabia from the chair of the UN Human Rights Council Panel.

Some protestors also urged the government to ban sending Sri Lankans for employment to the Arab nation.

Meanwhile, the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka has also expressed its grievances reaching out to the Saudi Highness on behalf of the people of Sri Lanka seeking clemency for the two Sri Lankans.

In 2013, Saudi Arabia beheaded a young Sri Lankan housemaid for the killing of an infant left in her care, rejecting repeated appeals by Colombo against her death sentence.