He may have won the last two Ballon d’Or prizes as the world’s best footballer but Cristiano Ronaldo could soon have some competition on his hands in the form of his young son judging by the skills Cristiano Jnr been showing off with his dad.
The Real Madrid star is enjoying a brief break in the Bahamas after another long season for club and country but unusually the world’s most recognisable player hasn’t been the one turning heads on the island’s beaches.
Instead, it’s his five-year-old son’s skills on the sand attracting the attention, although the forward – who scored 61 goals in a trophyless season for his club – hasn’t gone completely unnoticed.
Ronaldo was spotted chatting to three blonde women on the sunbeds after relaxing on a lilo in the water while he looked proud of his only child’s attempts to match his tricks with stepovers and flicks the order on the day along the shore. He also dined like a king at Bagatelle Miami last Friday night. The group enjoyed a dinner of Beef tartar, Hamachi, sliders, Chateaubriands, Stripped bass, coquillettes and pomme puree.
It was certainly a far cry from the talk of recent weeks that claimed Ronaldo – who has been avoiding speaking to the press of late – was unhappy with life in the Spanish capital and the potential departure of team-mate Sergio Ramos.
Spanish centre back Ramos is a target for Ronaldo’s former club Manchester United and the Portuguese star was said to have made a personal call to try and put a stop to any deal last week.
However, Ronaldo said there was no conflict between himself and the club and urged his supporters not to believe any reports of his willingness to leave the Santiago Bernabeu this summer.
‘I would sincerely like the false reports to stop and to be left a little in peace,’ he was quoted as saying in Portugal’s A Bola.
‘Reports that I have sought to create conflicts between myself and Real Madrid are absolutely false. I am very happy at the best club in the world and very focused and confident of a new season full of successes.’
Ronaldo will return to Madrid for pre-season training in the coming weeks under new boss Rafa Benitez before Los Blancos head for Melbourne and then Guangzhou and Shanghai in China to prepare for the new campaign.
Manchester City are among their opponents in Australia while Tottenham Hotspur will also provide opposition when they finish off their final few sessions in a mini-tournament in Munich.
Former Spurs winger Gareth Bale is another superstar within the Real ranks who had been rumoured to be unhappy but former Wales and Real Madrid boss John Toshack says he believes his countryman will last longer than Ronaldo with Benitez’s side.
Bale, 25, was criticised by fans for his poor form in a failure of a season just 12 months on from winning their ‘Decima’ – the 10th European Cup.
‘My own opinion is that we will probably see, for one reason or another, Cristiano move from Madrid before Gareth,’ Toshack said.
‘You do need time to adapt and obviously for the money they paid for Bale and at the age that he is, he’s still got a lot to do. I hope Gareth will get the opportunity to play in an area of the field where he can do most damage.
‘I’m not so sure wide is Gareth’s best position. I think Cristiano has got a bit do with that. He was always a No 7 but likes to play left side and I think Gareth suffers a bit for that.’
Meanwhile, Ronaldo confirmed on Monday that his image rights would now be managed by Salford City and Valencia owner Peter Lim.
In a post on his Facebook page, Ronaldo said: ‘I am very excited to announce my latest deal with Mint Media, owned by my good friend, businessman Peter Lim from Singapore, to acquire my image rights.
‘This is a very strategic move for me and my management team to take the Cristiano Ronaldo brand to the next level, especially in Asia.’