National Poison Information Centre (NPIC) of the National Hospital, Colombo informs that there is no need to panic on jelly fish stings as the jellyfish species in Sri Lankan waters were not fatal. NPIC sources confirmed that according to marine researchers there were no deadly jellyfish species reported around the sea area of Sri Lanka.

They admitted that jellyfish bites were reported in Sri Lanka since 1980, but no one has died after being stung by a Jellyfish. “An allergic reaction could show in the skin and all symptoms and signs disappeared within two to three hours”, they added.

They also said that that is painful and could also develop into reddish swelling and breathing difficulties and low blood pressure in rare cases. “Jellyfish injected its venom by a tentacle and someone who got stung had to remove the tentacle very carefully otherwise further venom could be injected.”

They also advised to remove the tentacle by a seashell, wooden stick or cardboard paper which can easily be found in the beach, otherwise there is a possibility of further venom could inject to hand. They also advised not to put anything on to the stung area and put only an ice pack until the victim was taken to a hospital. NPIC also announced that they conduct a survey on the issue and ask people to give information regarding such incidents on 0112686143.